After getting criticised for their selection of senior squad, MCA could now call the remaining players for training camps.
MCA could call snubbed players
The selectors of Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) have been criticised for the selection of the senior squad for the pre-season camp. Moreover, it has been now learnt that the left-out players, with good club seasons last year, will be called for the training camps.
Parsee Gymkhana cricket secretary and vice-president Khodadad Yazdegardi not only accused the selector Ajit Agarkar and his panel for not paying attention at club cricket matches, but also ended up collecting and submiting over 30 signatures from different clubs to MCA for the removal of the selectors’ panel.
On July 30, a Special General Meeting was called to bring this issue to attention and reportedly, Agarkar was willing to resign.
A few of the players who had scored impressive runs last season, will be called soon by training camps, reports a player.
Some of the players were also left upset by this choice. Sumit Ghadigaonkar who plays for MIG Club reached four figures last season. His scores also included two double centuries in Police Shield League. The top order batsman saw this as the best opportunity to get a place in the squad.
“It is very disheartening. The season was fantastic, I got runs against big teams with great bowlers as well,” he says.
“To keep playing like this we need motivation, but they’ve never called us,” he says.
Apart from him, there are players who were part of the side and performed when needed. Shubham Ranjane, who represented Mumbai in the 50-over Vijay Hazare Trophy in February, was also snubbed. The all-rounder guided the team to a win against Tamil Nadu in the same competition.
Shashank Singh, who was also a part of the squad last year, was left out. He is approaching the situation positively. “I spoke to Abey Kuruvilla sir. He told me and Shubham (Ranjane) that we need to work really hard in order to get selected,” he says.
“I’ve started working on my fitness. I have learned that the people who have been selected over us are fitter individuals. I was disheartened the first day, but the next day, I realised the situation,” he adds.
Presently, the selectors are not divulging any information on this situation. But players have been told that they will be called shortly.
In the coming days, the MCA could call couple of players for the camp. The way this summer has gone for the association, any news is plausible.